Tuesday, September 3, 2013

The Letter I've Waited For!

Hey guys!  So school has just started back and I am beginning my senior year of college.  That fact feels both natural and very strange to say.  School is busy already though so I was not expecting to be slowed down when I ran home last weekend.  However, waiting for me upon my arrival was a letter that I have waited over 2 years to read and one that still makes me beam each time I read it.

If you've read my letter posts before, you may know that my 13-year-old correspondent child, Predilien, from Haiti has never written a letter himself.  In my 2 1/2 years of writing to him I have received mostly short uninformative letters written by his dad.  Before I was assigned to write to him, Predilien had received very few letters (I want to say 2) in over 7 years of sponsorship.  Therefore, although I longed to connect with him, I understood that he may be reluctant.  In the past few months I have seen an increase in the personality of the letters as well as the content, but I had yet to read the words directly from this young man's pen.

I am thrilled to say that my wait finally ended with this most recent letter!

In hurried scrawl Predilien writes:  "Dear Emily, Today it is a pleasure for me to greet you.  How are you doing?  I am glad to tell you that my family and I are well.  I must tell you, I had a good school year.  I will be in grade 4 now.  Thank you for your prayers.  I am in vacation now.  Before vacation my father didn't want me to go watch the soccer game, but now he lets me go.  I am happy for that.  I thank you for the letter.  Here are the answers to your questions (This thrilled me as most prior letters never answered questions.)  My favorite subject is geography.  I have trouble with science.  Help me pray for this subject.  What do you want me to pray for you?  Thank you so much, may the grace of God come on you."

I am again unable to stop smiling after reading his sweet words!  Also exciting is that the letter was just written on July 28, which means it only took about a month to get here.  Predilien also seems to be on a reciprocal writing schedule now.  

I am so excited to feel like I am finally getting to know this boy whom I have prayed over for so long!

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely letter from your Predilien!! It sounds like such a personal letter. I'm so glad that you're finally starting to be able to connect with this young man.

    ReplyDelete

Sponsor a Child in Jesus Name with Compassion