Friday, October 25, 2013

Saying Goodbye ... And Hello

Hi friends, sorry for again slacking off from this place the past month.  Apparently all the rumors about senior year being crazy are true and I've had no time to blog (although I've loved the busyness!).  Anyway I just wanted to update you on some changes to my Compassion family this week.

A few days ago I got a call from Compassion letting me know that my correspondent child, 19-year-old Joan from Uganda, has left the program.  She and her family moved rather abruptly to an area where Compassion does not have a program.  Because she left so quickly, Compassion is not sure where she is, which means I will not be able to write a final letter to her.

I began writing to Joan last Christmas and have received two letters from her and sent many more her way.  Although I don't know her very well, I was excited to get to know this young woman and to encourage her during her last years with Compassion.  I know that she is in God's hands now and I will continue to pray for her safety and well-being.


After learning that Joan left the program, Compassion assigned me a new correspondent child to begin writing to.  So now please welcome 9-year-old Irene, also from Uganda, to my Compassion family.

Irene lives with her parents, who work as peasant farmers, and has two siblings.  She helps her parents at home by gardening, buying and selling in the market, and helping in the kitchen.  Irene is in 3rd grade.  She enjoys many things including playing with dolls, soccer, reading, art, and telling stories.


Although I am sad to lose Joan and will never give away her place in my heart, I am also thrilled to write to sweet little Irene as well.  I know that God has a reason for putting both of these girls in my life, for however short a time, and I have been so blessed by all of my kids.

On another note, I recently received an updated photo of my precious little Rhean in the Philippines.

This is Rhean's first picture from when she registered with Compassion just after her third birthday.

And her is my cute girl now at 4 1/2 years old.  She has grown so much (as expected) and I can't wait to continue to watch her grow in the coming years.



1 comment:

  1. What an adorable photo update of Rhean!! I'm sorry that Joan left and you aren't able to say goodbye...I know that it's hard, but I also know that you can be a prayer advocate for her for the rest of your life since God knows where she is!! And I hope that you're able to really bless Irene now..she's a cutie!!

    ReplyDelete

Sponsor a Child in Jesus Name with Compassion