Thursday, December 5, 2013

My Christmas Wish

Hey friends, I've got a special holiday post today (sort of).  I'm not sure if any of you saw the movie Annabelle's Wish as a child (there's a chance I was a childhood hipster and loved things no one else knew existed), but this movie was basically my Christmas go-to growing up (and still makes me cry every time I watch it).  The movie was actually made to promote the Make-A-Wish Foundation and tells the story of a calf who gives up her Christmas wish in order to give it to the boy she loves.  This is overgeneralizing of course but if you want to know the whole story, I think the movie is on YouTube (or you can come to my house and we'll pull out the much beloved VHS).

That fun little stroll down memory lane brings me in a somewhat roundabout way to my point.  I have a very special Christmas wish this year (I'll pause as my entire family gasps since I never tell them what I want for Christmas).  As a Compassion advocate, I have volunteered to try to find a sponsor for one child this Christmas.  My wish is that one of you beautiful people would help me make that happen.  Let me introduce you to the special boy I'm speaking of:


This little dear is David.  He will turn 7 on January 12.  David lives with his grandparents in El Salvador, although he is not listed as an orphan.  His grandfather works as a laborer and his grandmother stays home to care for David.  David helps out at home by cleaning, carrying water, and running errands.  His favorite things to do are playing soccer, playing with toy cars, and running.  His information indicates that he is not yet in school but I would guess that he has begun since starting Compassion's program and, if not, will definitely begin with the new school year in January.  
David lives in a village in the north of the country where homes are typically made of dirt floors, mud walls, and tile roofs.  The average monthly income in his area is just $36.  This is extremely low in El Salvador, which uses the US dollar.  


You should all know by now the impact that sponsorship has had on my life, especially since my trip to El Salvador last summer (if you're just joining me feel free to read back or ask any questions- I'd love to talk about it more!).  Therefore, my Christmas wish this year is to find someone to love on this sweet boy and to experience the amazing gift that is child sponsorship.  I would be so blessed and thrilled to know that David got his wish this year too.

I am also applying right now to spend a year serving overseas, with my hopes on venturing back to the land that captured my heart, El Salvador.  If I do end up there, I would love to take along a gift for this cutie from his new sponsor.  

I know that this is a big commitment to ask of you and I am certainly not wanting you to take it lightly.  However, it would mean more to me than anything else this Christmas to know that my passion for this ministry has led to a child being connected with a sponsor and both of their lives being changed.  

If you have any questions about David, sponsorship, or anything else please don't hesitate to ask me!

Merry Christmas dear friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sponsor a Child in Jesus Name with Compassion