Friday, May 25, 2012

Getting There (the long way)

My journey to El Salvador began well this morning and we managed to arrive at the Atlanta airport on time.

 I got my bag checked and routed to El Salvador and headed to security to wait for my plane to arrive to take me to Miami to meet up with the group.
Minutes before boarding my plane I got a call from Compassion letting me know that there was a problem with our flight to El Salvador from Miami.  Some how our seats had not been reserved and most of the group had been put on an earlier flight instead.  I would need to make my way to the international terminal in Miami as soon as I landed to get ready to board again.  So much for a three hour layover.
Most of the group made it smoothly although there were a few who had to hand back for a later flight and a couple of missing bags.  Our Air Taca flight (and all of the Miami airport) spoke mostly Spanish which put me at a slight disadvantage after 5 years of French.  Sadly my beloved French is not doing so well for me here.  Once on board we were ok- they served 'dinner' (it was a 4:10 flight) of cheese croissant (think hotdog with melted cheese instead of meat), spicy snack mix, and a chocolate bar.  (should have photographed this but I didn't think to).  After some turbulence through clouds, we landed in Guatemala City (yes you read right- we had to stop over there before continuing on to San Salvador)

Hola Guatemala!
It was storming under those clouds but above them was beautiful!

We finally took off for the last leg of the trip to El Salvador.  The flight was only 30 minutes and I'm not sure we were at altitude for more than about 5 minutes.  So finally I'm here and looking forward to fun tomorrow!
Volcano view from the airport in San Salvador

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sponsor a Child in Jesus Name with Compassion