Thursday, September 13, 2012

Letter to God

My dear Lord,

Writing, as you know, usually comes rather easily to me.  However, this feels very awkward and open to me for thoughts that I would normally keep between the two of us.  It makes me feel vulnerable, but I realize I should be humbled before you.  What is allowing me to publish this is the fact that I am not doing for myself, but for her, for that sweet daughter or yours whom you led into my life three years ago and for all of the other children just like her.  The children you have placed in my life, Marlen, Predilien, Rhean, and even Kalkidan, have blessed me immensely (and to a lesser extent my family as well).  I pray today that you would hold each of them firmly in your hands, that they may never falter in their understanding of your love for them.  And God, beyond 'my' kids, I pray for all of your precious children who are growing up in areas where all they ever hear is 'no': "No they can't go to school, have a good meal, or get a decent job."  "No they are not loved and not they don't mean anything to anybody."  I pray that these kids will hear your voice calling for them, dispelling the myths that are being whispered in their ears.  I pray that they will embrace your love and acknowledge your unconditional acceptance of them.  And God, please continue to bless organizations, like Compassion International, that go to the far corners of the world to show your children the love that you have for them, to feed them and clothe them and educate them and, most importantly, to lead them out of the darkness of poverty and into the light of your arms.  Lord protect and guide those who choose to follow your calling to them even when leaving the safety of home could prove fatal.  Lord may all of your children hear your words to Habakkuk when he asked "How long, O Lord, must I call for help but you do not listen?  Or cry out to you 'Violence!' but you do not save?  Why do you make me observe injustice?  Why do you tolerate wrong?  Destruction and violence are before me; there is strife, and conflict abounds.  Therefore the law is paralyzed and justice never prevails." (Hab 1:1-4)  Lord for far too many of your children the prophet's woes are still reality.  They live in a world where violence and conflict are all that surround them.  It is hard for them, as well as for those of us blessed to live in wealth and look on, to remember that you have not forgotten them, that you have a plan for each of their lives and a reason for allowing them to suffer.  Let them find comfort in your answer to Habakkuk: "Look at the nations and watch- and be utterly amazed.  For I am going to do something in your days that even you would not believe, even if you were told." (Hab 1:5)  May your children find comfort in your promise to them Lord.  May they understand that you have a purpose for their lives that they cannot yet comprehend.  Remind them that they are never alone when they trust in you.  For "who shall separate us from the love of Christ?  Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? ... No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him that loved us." (Rom 8:35-37)  May all of your dear children across the world go to bed tonight knowing that no matter what tomorrow may bring, you will be there for them and no matter where they go or what they do, you will never turn against them.

With all of my love and humility, your daughter, Emily

2 comments:

  1. This was an awkward assignment for me as well.

    You did a great job sharing your heart here. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment Michelle! I almost didn't post it but I felt like I needed to do it.

      Delete

Sponsor a Child in Jesus Name with Compassion