Monday, March 11, 2013

2 Great Letters

This week I've been home for spring break and was very excited to receive not one, but two letters from my Compassion kids.

My first letter was from cute little Rhean in the Philippines.

Rhean's letter is about her family.  She says that her mom is a housekeeper, and her dad is a carpenter.  She lives with her parents, brother, sister, and grandmother.  She likes to watch tv and go to church with her family.  She drew a cute picture of a house, tree, and flowers.  

Rhean's dad then wrote a long letter.  I love that her parents write as it allows me to feel connected to the whole family.  He thanks me for gifts that Rhean received for Christmas and her birthday (which is the week after Christmas).  She got clothes, toys, shoes, and food.  He also says that Rhean is very cheerful and has recently learned to pray at the Compassion center.  He ends by asking me to pray that fighting between guerillas and the military will stop so that there will be peace.

Then today I got a letter from sweet Marlen in El Salvador.

Marlen chose to write on the 'my dreams' theme this time.  She says that she wants to be a secretary when she grows up and drew a great picture of her working in an office with her name on the door and everything.  She also says that she did well in school (their school year in ends with the year end and this letter was written in January).  She says that for Christmas she got "a lovely pair of shoes" and spent time with friends and family.  She is also continuing in the bakery workshop at her project.  She seems to really enjoy it as she talks about it in every letter!  This time she describes a kind of bread that they learned to make called Semita.  It is a Salvadoran bread that has honey inside.  It sounds amazing and I would love the chance to try it some day.  She then asks for me to pray for her uncle who is in prison that he may be released soon.  She ends "I love you very much.  With much care, and great care for you, with love and care, Marlen"


Finally, to round out the week, I got an updated photo of my new girl, Joan, in Uganda.  I have not yet heard from her but am looking forward to getting to know her in her last few years in the program.

This is Joan's old picture, so she must have been about 16.

This is her now at 18.

I was so happy for updates on my girls this week!  I feel like I just heard from Rhean and Marlen and am very excited to be seeing more letters from them!  Please join me in praying for the fighting in the Philippines as well as for Marlen's uncle.

3 comments:

  1. Rhean and Marlen are so cute!!! And I love their letters! That's so neat that Rhean's dad wrote...I love when the parents write for my young kids. It does help me connect to the whole family. What a good reminder to keep the Philippines in our prayers also. And that's so neat that Marlen loves her baking class! Semita sounds delicious. I love Joan's update photo too--I hope you hear from her soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are great letters! little rhean is so sweet! i hope everything in her country calms down really soon!

    ReplyDelete

Sponsor a Child in Jesus Name with Compassion