Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Completing the Family

Well, looks like I've neglected my blog once again as life got busy and I forgot to write.  Maybe I'll keep up with it better in the new year.

Recently I found out that Compassion had over 500 children in need of correspondents to write to them.  These children, like my Predilien and Rhean, have financial sponsors who have chosen not to write for some reason and so they are given correspondent sponsors to write letters and develop relationships with the kids.  I love this program so I immediately emailed Compassion and volunteered to write to any kids who needed someone.  I have now been asked to write to 2 new children and I am thrilled to get to know them.

Up first is a young lady from Uganda named Joan.

Joan is 18 years old and lives with her older sister and younger siblings.  Her father passed away, and although her mother is alive, she does not live with the children.  She is in 6th grade (not uncommon for kids to start late) and enjoys singing, reading, and walking for fun.  I am so excited to have been assigned an older child who is close to my age.  I can't wait to hear from her and hope that we will have a wonderful relationship.

Next is this sweet boy from Ecuador, Rafael.

Rafael is 12 but will turn 13 next week.  He lives in the south of the country with his parents and siblings.  He is also in 6th grade and likes soccer, swimming, and cars (what a boy!).  I'm so happy to welcome another boy to my family of girls and look forward to getting to know him as well.

With the addition of Joan and Rafael, my Compassion family has grown to 5 and spans every area Compassion works in: Central America, the Caribbean, Asia, Africa, and South America.  I have been so blessed by my relationships with this organization and these children.  2012 was a great Compassion year and I can't wait to see what 2013 will hold for us!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sponsor a Child in Jesus Name with Compassion